top of page


When going through a divorce or relationship breakdown, the distribution of assets and finances, known as financial arrangements, can often be an emotive and contentious aspect for partners to agree upon. Our family solicitors can guide you through the process and help you to reach an agreement that is most appropriate for your particular circumstance.


Often, the most difficult questions arising from divorce and relationship breakdown relate to finances.

There are a variety of different ways to reach an agreement, which can be used by unmarried couples, civil partners, or couples going through a divorce or separation. Our family solicitors are highly experienced in achieving fair financial settlements during divorce or separation. 

We’ll collect extensive details of your situation and offer practical advice tailored to your personal circumstances. We’ll advise you of realistic, cost effective outcomes and work with you to achieve them.


At Haygarth Jones, we will provide you with the advice and guidance that you need in respect of your financial entitlement following the breakdown of a marriage or relationship, and in particular on:-

  • Property

  • Pensions

  • Inherited assets

  • Pre and post marital acquired assets

  • Provision for the care of children

Financial settlement can be carried out in a number of different ways and we will discuss all the options with you. This includes negotiations with solicitors through mediation. If it is not possible to negotiate a settlement via this route, proceedings in the Family Court may commence.


It can be quite difficult to predict the overall cost of dealing with financial settlements within divorce or separation proceedings as each case is different. 

Our family solicitors currently work on an hourly rate of £170.00. In all cases, we require £600.00 on account of costs before we commence any work. This is to ensure that there are available funds in your account should we need to do work immediately. 

In certain circumstances, Legal Aid is available for financial matters however strict criteria has to be met and you need to prove that you have been the victim of domestic violence. 

Copy of Untitled (1).png

You need to make an application to the Court in order to get a Financial Order for your divorce. Before you make any application, we would advise you to speak to one of our family solicitors who can recommend which Financial Order is best suited for your circumstances. 

There are different type of Financial Orders:-

  • Consent Order

  • Clean Break Order

  • Pension Sharing Order

  • Property Adjustment Order

  • Maintenance Order

  • Lump Sum Order

The two main Financial Orders are Consent Order and Clean Break Order. Click the guide below to find out more information. 

If you need advice in respect of a Financial Settlement then contact our Family Department on 01744 757877 or email at

bottom of page